Sat 14
First Team
Chippenham Town
A Church (66'), S Higgins (81'), S Jeffers (90')
C Whelpdale (69' OG), J Foulston (35'), K Chambers (37')
Chelmsford City 3-3 Chippenham Town

Chelmsford City 3-3 Chippenham Town

By Chris Berry
Share via

Chelmsford's unbeaten run at Melbourne Park continued on Saturday afternoon in a sunshine goalfest heavily dominated by the hosts.

Writes Jake Moore....

City came close after just two minutes through Andy Fennell, who was handed a rare start. The promising striker found possession, managing to hold off a number of Chippenham bodies to deliver a dangerous ball towards the six-yard box - narrowly missing the run of Robbie Simpson.

Luke Hopper provided Town with their first chance of the afternoon on 14 minutes as he weaved his way into the box before unleashing a shot that was blocked behind for a corner by Tom Gardiner.

The first 20 minutes of the afternoon prvided few chances, but Fennell was on hand to grab the latest. A freekick taken by Billy Knott flew towards the back post and was headed back across goal by Simpson, reaching the back post where his strike partner was waiting to head just over the bar.

The youngster was threatening again moments later after playing a clever one-two with Knott, then forcing Will Henry into a smart save to keep the scores level.

With half an hour on the clock, in a first-half heavily dominated by the hosts, Chris Whelpdale was next in line to register a chance, driving at the Chippenham defence before seeing his shot blocked and cleared.

Shaw then continued the pressure by delivering a great ball into the box finding Fennell whose shot is deflected wide.

With 10 minutes to go until the break, the visitors were in front. A strike from Jay Foulston found it's way past everyone in the box and goes in past Carl Pentney.

Just a mere two minutes later, the lead was doubled after a breakaway which saw Karmell Chambers one-on-one with Pentney, finishing past the Clarets 'keeper to give his side a two-goal cushion.

Despite being behind, the Clarets finished the half stronger. Simpson's flick-on found Knott on the edge of the box whose strike was deflected over the bar.

The first chance of the second half came City's way as Knott managed to drill in a corner and Simpson rose highest, heading just wide of the post.

Just three minutes later, Spillane tested Henry, forcing him into a low save.

City found a goal back with 25 minutes of the second half remaining when captain Anthony Church rose highest to head home a Knott corner giving the 'keeper no chance.

The Clarets' glimmer of hope of getting back into the game didn't last long however as Chris Zebroski's speculative effort from range took a deflection and ended up beyond Pentney to restore the Bluebirds two-goal lead.

Chelmsford reduced the deficit with 10 minutes remaining through substitute Sam Higgins. A free-kick on the near side was swung in dangerously from the left boot of Knott, allowing Higgins to guide home a header, providing a nervy finish to the game.

The last few moments of the game consisted of City piling on the pressure to try and find an equaliser, almost coming in the 86th minute. Knott's corner into a crowded penalty area was met by the head of Mickey Spillane, who fired just over the bar.

The hosts perseverance paid off in added time as Shaun Jeffers leveled in the 18-yard box to earn the Clarets a deserved point.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 14, Sep 2019






Vanarama National League South

League position

Chippenham Town
Chelmsford City