Mon 12
First Team
C Whelpdale (52'), S Higgins (75'), J Giles (81'), J Hill (90' OG)
J Wynter (72' Sent Off)
Chelmsford City 4-0 Dartford

Chelmsford City 4-0 Dartford

By Steve Parker
Share via

Chelmsford continued their 100% home record for the 2019/20 season, beating Dartford by four goals to nil at Melbourne Park.

Writes Jake Moore....

Second-half strikes from Chris Whelpdale, Sam Higgins and Jonny Giles, along with an own-goal, ensured City got back to winning ways, climbing up to 7th in the process.

It took just two minutes for the Clarets to register the first meaningful attack of the game. Whelpdale was able to win a flick-on that found Jamar Loza, however, his effort when through on goal flew high and wide of the target.

Dartford were able to respond with their first chance of the evening just 8 minutes later. Adam Cunnington was first to a cross into the Chelmsford box and subsequently forced a smart save from Carl Pentney.

Luke Warner-Eley was next to meet a Dartford cross but the defenders strong effort was met well by Pentney.

Loza and Jonny Giles responded almost instantly when the former was able to round the ‘keeper before squaring the ball towards Giles, but for a Dartford defender to get there first and put it behind for a corner.

Then it was Dartford’s turn to go close. Luke Wanadio this time running at the Chelmsford defence before sending a curling effort wide of the mark.

Loza - arguably City’s biggest threat in the first half - caused the visitors a few problems prior to a free-kick from Ollie Muldoon, forcing Dartford ‘keeper Mark Smith into a fine save.

In the last action of the half it was Pentney who produced a moment of individual brilliance, however. Cunnington was able to flick the ball through to strike partner, Norman Wabo, but Pentney was able to get down quickly to deny the striker with his feet.

City, much like the first half, started the second on top. Mickey Spillane was able to pick out Sam Higgins with a brilliant pass, before the striker found Whelpdale whose fierce effort on the right foot went just wide of the target.

A mere 3 minutes later, however, Whelpdale was able to put the Clarets 1-0 up. Dartford failed to properly deal with a corner before Whelpdale drilled a low effort into the bottom corner.

Both sides then had penalty shouts waved away by the referee before Sam Higgins sent a spectacular volley, just wide of the post.

Dartford were reduced to 10 men with 20 minutes remaining when defender Jordan Wynter caught Clarets’ substitute, Alex Osborn late.

The hosts didn’t wait long to make the extra man count - Sam Higgins got in on the act, heading past Smith to double the lead 4 minutes later.

Muldoon then came close but his long-range effort hit the side-netting.

It wasn’t long before the Clarets’ pressure for a third paid off. Jonny Giles firing past Smith, giving the ‘keeper no chance and sending City further ahead with just 10 minutes remaining.

Chelmsford ended the night with the ball in the net for a fourth time. Higgins’ ball across goal towards Andy Fennell went in off Josh Hill to send City back into the playoffs positions.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 12, Aug 2019






Vanarama National League South

League position

Chelmsford City