Tue 06
Concord Rangers
First Team
O Muldoon (80')
Concord Rangers 2-1 Chelmsford City

Concord Rangers 2-1 Chelmsford City

By Chris Berry
Share via

The Clarets suffered their first defeat of the season at the hands of Concord Rangers on Tuesday night, despite being given a glimmer of hope late on.

Writes Jake Moore....

Two goals either side of half-time from Decarrey Sheriff were enough to see Concord over the line despite a first goal in Claret colours for Ollie Muldoon.

The hosts started the brighter of the teams by winning a corner just two minutes in. Frazer Shaw clearing the subsequent effort off the line to prevent an early lead.

City saw their first glimpse of goal just three minutes later. A floating cross into the box found the head of Tom Wraight, who’s header flew just over the bar.

Chances were there to be taken for Chelmsford, arguably coming closest 12 minutes in. Adrian Cascaval delivered a free-kick into the box which was met by Chris Whelpdale, but his strike on the left-foot fell just wide of the mark.

Despite a flurry of early chances for Concord themselves, it wasn’t until the 37th minute that they were able to force the breakthrough.
Kreshnic Krasniqi delivered a low cross into the box which was met by Sheriff, who managed to finish past Carl Pentney from close range.

Joel Nouble had a golden chance to double the hosts lead three minutes later, but the Concord forward took too long in possession and the opportunity eventually came to waste.

The Clarets almost responded instantly after Whelpdale’s cross into the box found Shaun Jeffers, however the forwards effort - which proved to be City’s last of the half - flew just past the target.

Concord started the second half by doubling their lead after just one minute of play. Sheriff latched onto a long ball before calmly finishing beyond Pentney and into the back of the net.

Ollie Muldoon was the first to threaten for the visitors in the second half on 51 minutes, however, his strike from range was comfortably saved by Chris Haigh.

Second half substitute, Billy Knott almost forced a goal back with just under half an hour to play; his cross deflecting off a concord body, forcing a great save from Haigh to deny an own-goal.

Ollie Muldoon finally got a goal back for the Clarets with 10 minutes to go. His free-kick deflected past the clutches of Haigh and into the back of the net to make it 2-1.

The next seven minutes followed with City really piling on the pressure. Efforts from Mickey Spillane and Tom Wraight forced a save from Haigh, meanwhile striker Sam Higgins saw his two efforts saved, before a venomous volley was then blocked by Concord defender,
Tosin Olufemi.

Despite the late pressure and five minutes of added time, Chelmsford couldn’t find an equaliser which ensured Concord Rangers kept all three points.

video on NL site

Share via

Match details

Match date

Tue 06, Aug 2019






Vanarama National League South

League position

Concord Rangers
Chelmsford City