Sat 30
First Team
Oxford City
R Murphy (46'), M Spillane (62')
B Thomas-Asante (94')
Chelmsford City 2-1 Oxford City

Chelmsford City 2-1 Oxford City

By Chris Berry
Share via

The Clarets win their second game on the bounce, claiming all 3 points over Oxford City.

Chelmsford City did their promotion chances no harm as they claimed all 3 points against Oxford City with a 2-1 victory at the Melbourne Community Stadium.

Chelmsford City started the game having the majority of the possession, keeping it tidy in possession.

The first chance of the game fell to City in the 5th minute. The hosts won a free-kick and Billy Knott saw his effort from close range saved well by Craig King.

King was forced into action again 6 minutes later. Joe Anderson played a beautiful ball from the outside of his boot over the top of the Oxford City defence and Rhys Murphy controlled the ball well. The striker attempted to lob the ball over King, but the shot-stopper saved well.

The best chance of the game by far again fell to Chelmsford on the 16th minute. Josh Ashby played the ball back to Craig King, who took too long holding onto the ball and was eventually dispossessed by the oncoming Billy Knott. The midfielder had an open goal at his disposal, however, he decided against shooting and laid the ball off to Rhys Murphy, who saw his effort ricochet off the crossbar.

The hosts had a penalty shout waved away by referee, Lee Brennan in the 39th minute after Billy Knott weaved his way into the Oxford box and went down under increasing pressure.

Chelmsford managed to create one more chance until half-time. Rhys Murphy found himself one-on-one with Craig King again and for the second time, the shot-stopper denied him, getting down well to save. Murphy kept the chance alive, pulling the ball back to his strike partner, Scott Fenwick. His effort, however, was rushed and went well wide.

The second half started off the same as the first, with Chelmsford seeing more of the ball and created two early chances before Rhys Murphy opened the scoring on the 46th minute. Oxford gave possession away cheaply and Murphy was played through their defence by Billy Knott; it looked as though he had nothing on, but he managed to unleash a fierce effort into the top corner.

Chelmsford doubled their on the 62nd minute through Captain, Mickey Spillane. A Chelmsford free-kick was cleared by the Oxford defence, but only as far to the defender; he controlled well before dinking the ball over an Oxford defender and volleying home into the bottom corner, leaving Craig King rooted to his spot.

Oxford City responded by making a double substitution after 65 minutes, with Owen James and Bobson Bawling replacing Ryan Case and Jack Self. Chelmsford followed by making two quick substitutions of their own, with Lamar Reynolds and Aaron Cosgrave replacing Rhys Murphy and Chris Whelpdale.

Oxford's substitutions had little effect and it was Chelmsford who continued to create the chances and could have grabbed a third with Chez Isaac, Tom Wraight and Lamar Reynolds all having chances, with Oxford keeper Craig King doing exceptionally well to keep his side in the game with some crucial saves.

Chelmsford made their final substitution in the 85th minute, with Club skipper Anthony Church replacing Chez Isaac.

Oxford created their first and only real chance of the game in added time and thought they’d pulled one back through Brandon Thomas-Asante, only to be flagged for offside. The Oxford players protested and after consulting with his assistant, referee Lee Brennan reversed his decision and awarded the goal on the 94th minute.

It was all too little too late for the visitors and the referee blew up for full-time immediately after the restart.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 30, Mar 2019






Vanarama National League South

League position

Chelmsford City
Oxford City
Mickey Spillane

Player of the match

Mickey Spillane