Mon 06
First Team
Maidenhead United
Clarets' unbeaten home record comes to an end

Clarets' unbeaten home record comes to an end

By Steve Parker
Share via

The Clarets were left to rue missed chances as a first-half penalty completed the result.

Dave Tarpey gave the Mapgies a first-half added time lead from the penalty spot after Josh Hill’s hand-ball brought a close to an uninspiring first half.

The Clarets looked to bounce back from their 2-2 draw at Hemel Hempstead on Saturday by defeating fellow promotion rivals Maidenhead United at the Melbourne Community Stadium.

City boss Rod Stringer granted striker Liam Enver-Marum his first full start for the Clarets, whilst Anthony Church returned to the squad following suspension.

Sean Marks had the first chance of the night when he slipped through the Chelmsford defence, however the shot that Fitzsimons saved did not matter as the linesman had his flag raised for offside.

Alan Devonshire’s side should have taken the lead after 23 minutes when Tarpey found himself through on goal. The striker drew a superb save from Fitzsimons, before a reaction header off the line denied James Mulley from point-blanc range.

Chances came fair and few between them, but the visitors eventually took the lead from the spot. The Magpies won a freekick midway between the halfway line and edge-of-the-box, and as it was swung in Hill unfortunately found the ball smacking his arm and the referee made no mistake by pointing to the spot. Tarpey stepped up and confidently fired home to add to his impressive goal tally for the season.

The visitors could have arguably been down to ten men late in the first half. A darting run from Robbie Willmott drew a late foul from Rene Steer, and moments later the winger was downed again by Steer with a worse challenge – however Lee Vennamore chose not to dismiss the defender.

The Clarets could have equalised on 53 minutes when Willmott’s corner was headed back to the front-post by Enver-Marum, however a City striker was unable to direct the header past Pentney as he stabbed it over the bar.

Stringer’s side had yet another chance to equalise in a calamitous few seconds by Carl Pentney. The former City fumbled an initial shot from Chris Dickson, before a follow-up effort from Josh Rees was expertly saved by a diving Rene Steer.

Josh Rees was replaced by Elliott Buchanan with a quarter-of-an-hour remaining, with the striker looking to make an impact on the game.

Tarpey should have doubled his side’s lead when he burst through-on-goal. However, his mazy run – which sent Bagasan Graham slipping – was ended by a superb save from Fitzsimons.

Substitute Sam Barratt had his own chance to score but he was denied again by the City shot-stopper. The Clarets tried their hardest to equalise late on, but it was not to be as their home unbeaten record came to an end.

Chelmsford City:
1. Ross Fitzsimons
2. Josh Hill
3. Bagasan Graham
4. Max Porter (88’, off for Max Cornhill).
5. Chris Bush
6. Michael Spillane
7. Robbie Willmott
8. Anthony Church ©
9. Liam Enver-Marum
10. Chris Dickson
11. Josh Rees (75’, off for Elliott Buchanan)

12. Luke Daley
14. Mark Haines
15. Max Cornhill
16. Kane Haysman
18. Elliott Buchanan

Maidenhead United:
1. Carl Pentney
2. Remy Clerima
3. Rene Steer
4. Jack Parkinson
5. Alan Massey ©
6. Dean Inman
7. Dave Tarpey
8. James Comley
9. Sean Marks
10. James Mulley
11. Harry Pritchard

12. Sam Barratt
14. Ryan Upward
15. Kyran Wiltshire
16. Max Kilman
17. Ryan Peters

Yellow Cards:
Chelmsford City: 14’ Anthony Church, 15’ Chris Dickson, 75’ Chris Bush, 80’ Michael Spillane.
Maidenhead United: 34’ Rene Steer, 62’ Remy Clerima, 79’ Sean Marks.

Red Cards:
Chelmsford City: None.
Maidenhead United: None.

Chelmsford City: None.
Maidenhead United: Dave Tarpey (45+1’, pen).

Half Time Score: Chelmsford City x-x Maidenhead United
City Man of the Match:
Referee: Lee Venamore, assisted by Peter Cruise and Gerry Heron

Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 06, Mar 2017






National League South

League position

Maidenhead United
Chelmsford City