Sat 04
Hemel Hempstead Town
First Team
C Dickson (64'), (93')
Dickson Delivers Goods Late On To Grab Draw

Dickson Delivers Goods Late On To Grab Draw

By Steve Parker
Share via

Chelmsford City stole a point at the death with a Chris Dickson 93rd minute equaliser salvaging a 2-2 draw with Hemel Hempstead Town.

Jordan Parkes put the hosts ahead following a fiery first half from the penalty spot before Chris Dickson levelled for Chelmsford a minute later.

Parkes scored his second in the final ten minutes as his shot creeped through Ross Fitzsimons, before Dickson scored an added-time equaliser for the Clarets.

The visitors had the first chance of the game in the opening moments. A fizzing Robbie Willmott cross spotted Kane Haysman who slid towards the ball at the near post, however a sublime save from Hemel’s Jamie Butler denied the young winger from opening the scoring.

Hemel then went straight up the other end and had a chance of their own when Jake Robinson’s ferocious shot was turned over the crossbar by Ross Fitzsimons.

The visitors were forced into an early substitution on 25 minutes after Shaun Jeffers picked up a niggling injury, which introduced Luke Daley to the action.

The home side constantly held a threat through full-back Reiss Greenidge, with the defender mixing pace with his physical strength to create chances for the Tudors.

City boss Rod Stringer vented his frustration throughout the first half at Chris Dickson. The striker continued to race after through balls, however, the striker was unable to time his runs to perfection – leaving the striker offside multiple times.

The visitors’ early substitution meant that winger Robbie Willmott was forced to play alongside Dickson, with Luke Daley fitting in on the right wing.

Josh Rees timed a pass to perfection, however the pass was marginally too heavy for Kane Haysman to latch onto.

Charlie Sherringham attempted to win a penalty on 44 minutes when he went down during a Hemel corner, however Whistler Christopher Pollard was not fooled and waved the claims away.

The Clarets had a good chance to open the scoring early in the second half. Dickson slotted Robbie Willmott through brilliantly, allowing him to race clear of his marker. But the winger’s cross was too weak and was easily cleared.

Moments later the City striker was back in action. The winger darted through once again and with the goal wide open he opted to pass when he should have shot, as the Clarets wasted yet another chance.

The scoring was eventually opened following a complete lapse in concentration from Chris Bush. The defender tried to clear a poor touch but he instead wiped Charlie Sherringham off the floor. Parkes then stepped up and calmly rifled his spot-kick beyond Fitzsimons.

But the hosts were ahead only momentarily as a long punt forward from Ross Fitzsimons allowed Willmott to burst through. The winger then drilled a cross across the face of goal to Dickson who smashed home from two-yards out.

Chelmsford should arguably have been awarded a penalty themselves when Willmott squirmed into the box before being fouled by Oran Jackson. The referee, however, thought that the foul took place outside the box and awarded a free-kick. Bush almost scored from the set-piece, however, with his free-kick curling inches wide of the post.

The Tudors found themselves ahead with eight minutes remaining when Parkes saw his weak effort dribble over the line, sending the hosts towards the three points.

Stringer made one last throw of the dice by substituting Josh Hill for Daniel Blanchett with five minutes remaining.

Substitute Jonathan McNamara almost sealed the three points in the final minute of normal time, however the red-haired striker saw his shot drift past the post.

And Dean Brennan’s side were left to rue their missed chances as Max Porter swung a cross towards Dickson who took control with his chest before looping a volley over Butler – sending the away contingency into delirium as they stole a share of the points.

Jake Robinson almost restored the home side’s advantage but he was unable to keep his effort on-target and watched as his effort – and his team’s chances of getting three points – flew away.

Hemel Hempstead:
1. Jamie Butler
2. Callum Driver
3. Reiss Greenidge (77’, off for Jonathan McNamara)
4. Jordan Parkes ©
5. Tony Diagne
6. James Kaloczi (77’, off for Matt Spring)
7. Ben Greenhalgh (57’, off for Oran Jackson)
8. Matt Saunders
9. Jake Robinson
10. Charlie Sheringham
11. Arnaud Mendy

12. Jonathan McNamara
14. Ed Asafu-Adjaye
15. Oran Jackson
16. Matt Spring
17. Jonathan Henly

Chelmsford City:
1. Ross Fitzsimons
2. Josh Hill (85’, off for Daniel Blanchett)
3. Bagasan Graham
4. Max Porter
5. Chris Bush ©
6. Michael Spillane
7. Robbie Willmott
8. Josh Rees
9. Shaun Jeffers (25’, off for Luke Daley)
10. Chris Dickson
11. Kane Haysman (65’, off for Liam Enver-Marum)

12. Liam Enver-Marum
14. Mark Haines
15. Luke Daley
16. Daniel Blanchett
18. Max Cornhill

Yellow Cards:
Hemel Hempstead: None.
Chelmsford City: None.

Red Cards:
Hemel Hempstead: None.
Chelmsford City: None.

Goal Scorers:
Hemel Hempstead: Jordan Parkes (63’ p, 82’)
Chelmsford City: Chris Dickson (64’, 90+3’)

Half Time Score: Hemel Hempstead 0-0 Chelmsford City
Attendance: 586
City Man of the Match: Robbie Willmott
Referee: Christopher Pollard, assisted by Sean Kilbourn and Michael Robertson-Tant

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 04, Mar 2017






National League South

League position

Chelmsford City
Hemel Hempstead Town