Mon 26
First Team
Bishop's Stortford
M Cornhill (12'), E Buchanan (35'), R Willmott (67'), M Young (75')
Rampant Clarets Dismiss Stortford

Rampant Clarets Dismiss Stortford

By Scott Hatley
Share via

CHELMSFORD CITY’s wait for a league win is over after a dominant display saw them beat Bishop’s Stortford 4-0 at Melbourne Park.

On his 100th appearance for the Club, Max Cornhill opened the scoring when Kane Haysman won a penalty for a shove from Michael Richens. Shaun Jeffers’ poor penalty was saved by Harry Voss with Cornhill on hand to score the rebound.

Last season’s top-goalscorer for Bishop’s Stortford, Elliott Buchanan, grabbed his first goal for the Clarets in his ninth appearance for City, flicking a Robbie Willmott free kick into the bottom corner to send City in 2-0 up at the break.

Former Clarets boss and now current Stortford gaffer, Mark Hawkes, made a double change at half time for his struggling Blues but it had little effect as the Clarets run rampant.

After seeing Voss pull off a spectacular save to prevent Jeffers from scoring, the City top-scorer then hit the foot of the post before Willmott wrapped up the points with a brilliant striker from distance.

Left back, Matt Young, then got in on the act by scoring his first goal for the Club and City’s fourth, picking up the ball on the edge of the area after his first shot was blocked before finding the bottom corner with his second effort.

The win saw Rod Stringer get the better of his former Club in the first meeting between the two since his departure in the summer and secured Chelmsford their first league win since October 15th.

There were plenty of familiar faces in both teams this Boxing Day with former Stortford boss Rod Stringer now in Chelmsford’s dug out and former Clarets boss Mark Hawkes on the Blues’ bench.

On top of that were a number of former Chelmsford and Stortford players who were coming up against their former side, including Elliott Buchanan who was looking for his first goal in nine appearances since joining the Club from Margate.

Max Cornhill was making his 100th appearance for the Club over his two spells at Melbourne Park and it was he who opened the scoring after 12 minutes.

Referee Alan Dale had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot after Kane Haysman was clattered by Michael Richens in the area. Shaun Jeffers took the spot kick but his poor penalty was saved by Harry Voss, with Cornhill on hand to slot home the rebound.

Bishop’s Stortford have been rooted to the bottom of the table for most of the season and were coming into the game off the back of a 4-0 thumping at home to Hemel Hempstead. But they responded well to going a goal down, with Paul Rogers’ header forcing a save out of Ross Fitzsimons.

Jeffers came close to doubling the Clarets lead when Ashley Miller drilled a low cross into the area which deflected off the Clarets front man but didn’t have enough to beat Voss for a second time and Cornhill almost scored a wonder-goal when he let fly on the volley from 30-plus yards, hitting the side netting with Voss nowhere near the strike.

Chelmsford though did grab a deserved second just before the interval after Haysman was felled by Anthony Furlonge on the Clarets left. Robbie Willmott’s cross was flicked on by Elliott Buchanan who found the bottom corner for his first goal for the Club.

Former Clarets boss Mark Hawkes made a double change at the break bringing on Evans Kouassi and Greg Cundle for Anthony Furlonge and Kyran Wiltshire but it made little difference as Chelmsford almost went three in front when Willmott’s far-post cross was headed off the line by Paul Rodgers.

Voss was called into action as he was made to tip a Jeffers header over the crossbar in elaborate fashion and Chris Bush went just as close as he headed a Willmott corner just wide of Voss’ near post.

The Clarets continued to press for a third which would have all but killed off the game and Jeffers came close to making it three when he struck the foot of the post before Willmott wrapped up the points with a brilliant strike with over 20 minutes left to play.

Willmott picked up the ball around 30-yards of goal with no pressure being applied and decided to let fly from distance, sending the ball over the despairing dive of Voss to extend Chelmsford’s lead and secure their first league win in eight.

Chelmsford were now in cruise control and looked dangerous every time they went forward. Having missed a penalty earlier in the game, Jeffers was doing everything he could to score but he couldn’t find the back of the net, hitting the woodwork for a second time when he struck the cross bar.

And the Clarets added insult to injury to Stringer’s former side when Matt Young scored his first goal for the Club from outside the area. After a number of shots were blocked in the area the ball fell to Young whose first shot was blocked before he curled his second into the bottom corner.

Chelmsford were more than deserving of their first win in eight against a poor Stortford side with the reverse fixture taking place on New Year's Day at Stortford’s ProKit Stadium.

Chelmsford City:
1. Ross Fitzsimons
2. Ashley Miller
3. Matt Young
4. Max Cornhill
5. Chris Bush (C)
6. Mark Haines
7. Robbie Willmott
8. Josh Rees
9. Shaun Jeffers
10. Elliott Buchanan
11. Kane Haysman

12. Michael Spillane
14. Anthony Church (On for Josh Rees 74’)
15. Jake Reid (On for Elliott Buchanan 81’)
16. Bagasan Graham
18. Luke Daley (On for Kane Haysman 86’)

Bishop’s Stortford:
13. Harry Voss
2. Paul Rodgers
3. Johnny Herd (C)
4. Michael Richens
5. Zach Fagan
6. Harry Hickford
7. Anthony Furlonge
8. Freddy Moncur
9. Dean Morgan
10. Kyran Wiltshire
11. Aaron Greene

1. Simon Lefebvre
12. Evans Kouassi (On for Anthony Furlonge 46’)
14. Greg Cundle (On for Kyran Wiltshire 46’)
15. Elliott Ronto (On for Dean Morgan 77’)
16. Frantz Ngassa

Chelmsford City: Max Cornhill 12’, Elliott Buchanan 35’, Robbie Willmott 67’, Matt Young 75’
Bishop’s Stortford: None

Yellow Cards:
Chelmsford City: Shaun Jeffers 34’
Bishop’s Stortford: Anthony Furlonge 29’, Aaron Greene 58’

Referee: Alan Dale
Assistant Referees: Ollie Morris Sanders & Dean Marwick

Attendance: 1,014

City Man of the Match: Robbie Willmott

Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 26, Dec 2016






National League South

League position

Chelmsford City
Bishop's Stortford
Robbie Willmott

Player of the match

Robbie Willmott