Sat 08
First Team
S Mullings (4'), (52'), J Rees (7'), (79')
Clarets Climb to Second with Wealdstone Win

Clarets Climb to Second with Wealdstone Win

By Scott Hatley
Share via

BRACES FROM Shamir Mullings and Josh Rees helped Chelmsford extend their unbeaten league run to eight games with a 4-1 win against Wealdstone at Melbourne Stadium.

After a two week break afforded to them following their early exit from the Emirates FA Cup the Clarets came flying out of the blocks scoring twice in the opening seven minutes.

Shamir Mullings scored his tenth goal of the season when he snatched the ball off a hesitant Eddie Oshodi, calmly cutting onto his right foot to score past Jonathan North.

Josh Rees then doubled City’s lead when a corner fell to the midfielder on the edge of area allowing Rees to stroke the ball into the bottom corner.

Wealdstone got themselves back in the game right on half time when Jonathan Wright caught Ross Fitzsimons off his line scoring from over 40-yards out.

But the Clarets restored their two goal advantage early in the second half when North failed to deal with Robbie Willmott’s drive, leaving Mullings to smash home the rebound.

The win was then secured when Rees grabbed his second of the game on the volley. North got both hands to the ball but was unable to prevent the Clarets from grabbing their fourth.

A succession of corners late on for the Stones failed to bare any fruit as Chelmsford rose to second in the table in front of a league record attendance of 1465.

Having not played last weekend due to their early exit in the Emirates FA Cup, the Clarets returned to action for the first time since their 5-1 thumping of Eastbourne Borough a fortnight ago.

City boss Rod Stringer said in his programme notes that the extended break “probably wasn’t a bad thing to have” and his comments were justified when a refreshed and revitalised Chelmsford side scored twice in the opening seven minutes.

The first came in just the fourth minute when Eddie Oshodi dallied on a long ball forward allowing Shamir Mullings to steal in and rob the Wealdstone defender. Cutting inside City’s top scorer then calmly found the back of the net to put the home side in front.

Three minutes later and the Clarets had doubled their lead when a free kick from the left from Robbie Willmott found its way to Josh Rees who stroked the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

In their previous four meetings since Wealdstone returned to the National League the Clarets had only picked up one point from a possible 12, but they were well on their way to their first maximum against the Stones.

Scoring those goals so early though meant that there was plenty of time for Wealdstone to stage a comeback and they came close to getting back into the game when Elliot Benyon rattled the woodwork after picking off a loose pass from Luke Daley.

Mullings, whose opening goal was his 10th already of the season, came close to practically wrapping the tie up inside the first 20 minutes as he headed the ball just inches wide following a cross from the left.

At 2-0 Wealdstone were never out of the game and came close to getting one back from a couple of set pieces. Wes Parker and Thomas Hamblin both went for the same ball at the far post and failed to head the ball on target, and then after a monumental scramble in the area Oshodi slashed the ball wide from close range.

Having failed to find the target from close range on a couple of occasions, the Stones were thrown right back into the game when Jonathan Wright scored from 40-plus yards, spotting Ross Fitzsimons off his line to find the back of the net right on the stroke of half time.

It was the perfect time for the visitors to score, giving them a huge lift going into the interval, but the Clarets almost restored their two goal lead with the last kick of the half when Mark Haines somehow managed to miss the target from close range after being found unmarked at the far post.

The goal just before half time would have been a bitter pill to swallow for Stringer, but they came out of the blocks again in the second half and restored their two goal lead in the 52nd minute through Mullings.

Willmott tested North with a rasping drive from the edge of the area which the Stones ‘keeper parried but he failed to push the ball far enough away allowing Mullings to storm in and smash home from close range despite the best efforts from a recovering Wealdstone defender.

In front of a record league crowd for the season of 1465, Wealdstone had a number of attempts on goal miss the target. Wright was unable to repeat his trick from the first half when he latched onto Fitzsimons’ poor headed clearance, sending his half volley wide when the goal was gaping.

Matt Whichelow, who was on loan at Chelmsford last season from Boreham Wood, saw a free kick from the edge of the area go narrowly wide before forcing Fitzsimons into a smart save low to his right with a strike from outside the box.

With quarter of an hour left to go the visitors continued to put the Clarets under pressure, but failed to really test Fitzsimons and threaten City’s two goal advantage.

Wealdstone won a succession of corners late in the half as they went in search of a goal that could get them back in the game. But the best they could muster was a long range drive from Daniel Green which Fitzsimons parried away to safety.

The points were then well and truly wrapped up when Rees grabbed his second of the game. Max Porter's cross from the right found Rees around 12 yards from goal with the midfielder volleying towards goal. Despite North getting two hands on the strike he was unable to stop the ball from hitting the back of the net.

The win helps the Clarets climb to second in the table after Hampton & Richmond lost at home to Poole, but they’re still five points behind Maidenhead who came from behind to win away at Welling.

Chelmsford City:
1. Ross Fitzsimons
2. Luke Daley
3. Daniel Blanchett
4. Josh Rees
5. Mark Haines
6. Phil Walsh
7. Robbie Willmott
8. Anthony Church (C)
9. Shamir Mullings
10. Shaun Jeffers
11. Bagasan Graham

12. Billy Bricknell
14. Max Cornhill
15. Frankie Merrifield (On for Anthony Church 85’)
16. Max Porter (On for Shaun Jeffers 66’)
18. Matt Young (On for Bagasan Graham 85’)

1. Jonathan North
2. Joshua McLeod-Urquhart
3. Edward Oshodi
4. Wes Parker (C)
5. Thomas Hamblin
6. David Hunt
7. Ricky Wellard
8. Daniel Green
9. Elliot Benyon
10. Matty Whichelow
11. Jonathan Wright

12. Omar Koroma
14. Dylan Williams
15. Sahr Kabba (On for David Hunt 81’)
16. Ciaron Brown (On for Thomas Hamblin 85’)
18. Elliot Godfrey

Chelmsford City: Shamir Mullings 4’, 52’, Josh Rees 7’, 79'
Wealdstone: Jonathan Wright 45’

Yellow Cards:
Chelmsford City: Luke Daley (Dissent – 47’), Anthony Church (Dissent – 47’), Daniel Blanchett (Foul – 73’)
Wealdstone: Elliot Benyon (Dissent – 35’)

Referee: Lee Vennamore
Assistant Referees: Zack Ellis & Garry Heron

Attendance: 1465

City Man of the Match: Josh Rees

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 08, Oct 2016






National League South

League position

Chelmsford City
Josh Rees

Player of the match

Josh Rees