Sat 24
Eastbourne Borough
First Team
J Rees (18'), S Mullings (22'), S Jeffers (52'), (82')
Five Goal City Dispatch Nine-Man Eastbourne

Five Goal City Dispatch Nine-Man Eastbourne

By Scott Hatley
Share via

CHELMSFORD CITY returned to league action with a thoroughly convincing 5-1 win against nine-man Eastbourne Borough at Priory Lane.

Two goals in four first half minutes put the Clarets in charge when Josh Rees scored his first for the Club with a deflected effort before Shamir Mullings smashed home his ninth of the season minutes later.

Eastbourne grew into the game and looked a threat towards the end of the half but their challenge was made much harder when Brian Dutton was sent off for a professional foul on Mullings right on half time.

Despite the man disadvantage Eastbourne put City under severe pressure early in the second half but that pressure was alleviated when Shaun Jeffers put City 3-0 up on the counter attack.

The home side were then reduced to nine-men when Ian Simpemba was shown a second yellow card before the hour was up and Chelmsford made it four when Josh Hare inadvertently scored an own goal with the ball bouncing in off his back following a punch by Lewis Carey.

City wrapped up the win in spectacular fashion with the best of the bunch late on when Jeffers scored his second of the game, curling the ball into the top corner form the edge of the area to make it a memorable afternoon for the travelling Claret Army.

Former City captain Mark Hughes grabbed a consolation goal with the final touch of the game, heading in from close range after Ross Fitzsimons had saved a shot across goal.

It was City’s biggest win of the season and saw the Clarets rise to third in the table, putting to bed any disappointment lingering from last weekend’s Emirates FA Cup defeat.

The three men who were rested for the game against Dartford last weekend were back in the starting line up with Josh Rees, Robbie Willmott and Shamir Mullings coming in for Corby Moore, Adam Bailey-Dennis and Billy Bricknell.

The Clarets were dealt with an early blow as Ashley Miller had to be replaced in just the sixth minute after picking up an injury, but City immediately went on the offensive after the change with Bagasan Graham forcing a strong one-handed save by Lewis Carey at his near post.

Whereas Carey would have been pleased with his save from Graham he won’t be happy with how he conceded the first goal of the game through Josh Rees, who scored his first goal since signing for the Clarets.

Shaun Jeffers broke down the right hand side and after checking back he laid the ball off for Robbie Willmott. Willmott picked out Rees with a low cross and the midfielder’s effort took a nick, bobbling towards Carey who wasn’t able to prevent the ball bouncing into the bottom corner.

Having been knocked out of the Emirates FA Cup last weekend in disappointing fashion by Dartford, City were well on their way to forgetting all about that defeat as they doubled their lead in the 22nd minute through top-scorer Shamir Mullings.

The City front-man picked up a ball from Daley on the edge of the area with his back to goal, expertly spinning Brian Dutton before smashing the ball beyond Carey to score his ninth goal of the season and make it 2-0 to the visitors with a quarter of the game gone.

Chelmsford were thoroughly deserving of their two goal lead but needed to say resolute at the back and Mark Haines had to put his body on the line to stop Gavin McCallum from getting one back for the home side as he was found with acres of space at the far post.

McCallum was looking a persistent threat for the Clarets and he weaved his way into a scoring position on the edge of the area but could only poke his shot straight at Ross Fitzsimons, as did Mark Hughes’ long range effort moments later.

Eastbourne’s spell of pressure came crashing to a halt as the half ended with them being reduced to 10-men by referee Paul Howard. A poor header back from Josh Hare saw Mullings running clean through on goal only for him to be hauled down by Brian Dutton resulting in a straight red card.

The hosts brought on their top-scorer Elliot Romain at half time and he was instantly involved as Eastbourne had a huge shout for a penalty when Romain fed the ball to McCallum whose cross clearly struck the outstretched arm of Anthony Church but it was waved away by referee Howard.

The Sports were well on top early in the second half looking for a goal that could potentially get them back in the game but Jeffers ended any glimmer of hope for a Eastbourne comeback as he extended City’s lead on the counter attack.

Having conceded a corner to former captain Mark Hughes, Willmott managed to clear at the second attempt setting Jeffers on the counter. After going past one defender, the City number 10 beat Craig Stone before rolling the ball past Carey to extend City’s lead.

It was the first time the Clarets had scored three goals in a game this season and the game was put beyond all doubt when Eastbourne were reduced to nine men before we’d played an hour.

Captain Ian Simpemba was booked early in the first half for obstruction and he received his second booking and subsequent red card for a late challenge on Jeffers in the centre circle. The referee played advantage but when the ball was dead Simpemba was called back and was sent for an early bath.

Now with a two-man advantage City just needed to see out the final half an hour without any incident and made doubly sure of the points when Willmott’s cross was punched against Josh Hare by Carey, bouncing into the back of the Eastbourne net for an own goal.

A couple of off the ball incidents involving Haines and Chris Bush on separate occasions saw both men go into the book, with Bush’s booking being his fifth of the season which will mean he is suspended in a fortnight’s time.

But that blemish wasn’t going to dampen City’s spirits as Jeffers wrapped up the game with the best goal of the bunch, receiving the ball on the edge of the area the striker curled the ball into the top corner for his second of the game and City’s fifth.

The home side though did manage to grab a consolation goal right at the end of the game when Hughes scored against his former side, heading in from close range after a shot was saved by Fitzsimons with the final touch of the game but it was scant consolation for the Sports who were well and truly beaten by Rod Stringer's side.

Eastbourne Borough:
1. Lewis Carey
2. Josh Hare
3. Craig Stone
4. Mark Hughes
5. Ian Simpemba (C)
6. Brian Dutton
7. Miguel Baptista
8. Shaun Cooper
9. Nathaniel Pinney
10. Craig McAllister
11. Gavin McCallum

12. Ryan Worrall (On for Nathaniel Pinney 67’)
14. Josh Street
15. Kiran Khina-John (On for Craig McAllister 59’)
16. Daniel O’Reilly
17. Elliot Romain (On for Miguel Baptista 46’)

Chelmsford City:
1. Ross Fitzsimons
2. Ashley Miller
3. Daniel Blanchett
4. Josh Rees
5. Chris Bush
6. Mark Haines
7. Robbie Willmott
8. Anthony Church (C)
9. Shamir Mullings
10. Shaun Jeffers
11. Bagasan Graham

12. Billy Bricknell (On for Shamir Mullings 81')
14. Phil Walsh
15. Luke Daley (On for Ashley Miller 6’)
16. Frankie Merrifield
18. Max Cornhill (On for Anthony Church 68’)

Eastbourne Borough: Mark Hughes 90+2'
Chelmsford City: Josh Rees 18’, Shamir Mullings 22’, Shaun Jeffers 52’, 82’, Josh Hare OG 64’

Yellow Cards:
Eastbourne Borough: Ian Simpemba (Obstruction – 15’), Shaun Cooper (Off the ball incident – 73’), Elliot Romain (Dissent 79’)
Chelmsford City: Daniel Blanchett (Foul – 26’), Mark Haines (Off the ball incident – 73’), Luke Daley (Foul – 76’), Chris Bush (Dissent – 78’)

Red Cards:
Eastbourne Borough: Brian Dutton (Professional Foul – 44’), Ian Simpemba (Second Yellow Card – 57’)
Chelmsford City: None

Referee: Paul Howard
Assistant Referees: Ryan Head & Marc Meeten

Attendance: 502

City Man of the Match: Shaun Jeffers

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 24, Sep 2016






National League South

League position

Chelmsford City
Eastbourne Borough
Shaun Jeffers

Player of the match

Shaun Jeffers