Sat 19
Maidenhead United
First Team
Clarets Slip to First Defeat in Six

Clarets Slip to First Defeat in Six

By Scott Hatley
Share via

CHELMSFORD CITY’S unbeaten run of five league games come to an end at York Road after Ben Wright’s solitary goal secured Maidenhead United a 1-0 win.

Wright’s strike 11 minutes from time was all that separated the two sides with the Clarets boss bemoaning his side’s lack of concentration after they failed to pick up the short corner that lead to the winner.

The Clarets did have the chance to grab a point in the final minutes of the match when Tomi Adeloye was adjudged to have been pushed in the area, but Hugo Skepelhorn – on as a second half sub for Billy Bricknell – saw his penalty saved by former Claret, Carl Pentney.

It was Maidenhead’s first win in their last four games having lost their previous three, and put an end to City’s unbeaten run which began at the back end of August. It also meant that the Clarets’ winless run against Maidenhead continued, with their last victory coming in 2011.

After an impressive win over local rivals Concord Rangers on Monday night, Mark Hawkes only made the one change to his starting line-up, bringing back club-captain Mark Hughes to replace Marvel Ekpiteta.

Marvel though would end up having to start the match anyway after Aiden Palmer pulled up injured five minutes before kick-off and City found it difficult to mount much offence in the early part of the first half.

The Magpies had come into the match off the back of three-straight defeats to Ebbsfleet, Whitehawk and Maidstone but they forced the first chance of the match when Mark Nisbet headed wide from a corner early on.

After gaining a foothold in the game, Harry Morgan chanced his arm with a volley from the edge of the area that went narrowly wide, but Maidenhead’s Ben Wright should have done more with his shot inside the area which was scuffed into the grateful hands of Christian Dibble.

City were causing problems for themselves at the back but made up for their errors with blocks or last ditch tackles and Dibble was forced into action just before the break when Kieron Forbes shot from 20 yards was well held by the on-loan Barnsley ‘keeper.

After a half devoid of many clear cut chances for either side the second half produced a much more entertaining affair with opportunities in front of goal coming thick and fast.

City created the best chance of the game so far four minutes into the second period when a corner from the left was headed by Rory McAuely and was cleared off the line. The ball looped up for Mark Hughes who couldn’t direct his header on target and hit the crossbar from close range.

Maidenhead themselves created a couple of decent openings to break the deadlock when Jake Reid was sent through after a long ball forward, but the striker blasted over from 20 yards out. Wright then headed just over from a cross from the right.

Tomi Adeloye – who was looking to add to his two goals scored in his first start on Monday night – was then unfortunate not to do better when he stabbed an effort just wide after beating the on-rushing Carl Pentney to a long ball.

After a flurry of early second half chances for both sides the game settled back down until Wright forced Dibble into making a save from the forward’s free kick before the Maidenhead front-man put the home side in front 11 minutes from time.

Having initially signalled for a goal-kick the referee changed his mind and signalled for a corner which the home side took quickly, surprising the Clarets, and after a scramble inside the area the ball fell to Wright who buried his strike into the bottom corner to break the deadlock.

It was harsh on City who had remained relatively untroubled until that point, but thanks to a momentary lapse in concentration Chelmsford found themselves having to chase the game with only a few minutes remaining.

But with less than five minutes remaining of normal time Hawkes’ side were handed a lifeline from the penalty spot after Adeloye was shoved over in the area as he attempted to get on the end of a Bagasan Graham cross.

Hugo Skepelhorn – who had come on at the interval for the injured Billy Bricknell – stepped up to try and snatch a point for the Clarets, but his penalty was poorly struck and was parried away by the diving Pentney to put an end to City’s run of five games without defeat.

Maidenhead United
1. Carl Pentney
2. Ryan Peters
3. Rene Steer
4. Andy Jenkinson
5. Alan Massey (C)
6. Mark Nisbet
7. Kieron Forbes
8. James Mulley
9. Jake Reid
10. Ben Wright
11. Harry Pritchard

12. Sam Barratt (On for Ben Wright 84’)
14. Gavin James
15. Kyran Wiltshire
16. Dave Tarpey (On for Kieron Forbes 76’)
17. Ryan Upward (On for James Mulley 74’)

Chelmsford City
1. Christian Dibble
2. Mark Haines
3. Marvel Ekpiteta
4. Mark Hughes (C)
5. Marvin Ekpiteta
6. Rory McAuley
7. Luke Daley
8. Lee Sawyer
9. Billy Bricknell
10. Tomi Adeloye
11. Harry Morgan

12. Hugo Skepelhorn (On for Billy Bricknell 46’)
14. Bagasan Graham (On for Lee Sawyer 83’)
15. Connor Pearce
16. Laurence Vaughan (On for Marvel Ekpiteta 63’)
18. Jonah Gosling

Maidenhead United: Ben Wright 79’
Chelmsford City: None

Maidenhead United: Rene Steer (Foul - 86')
Chelmsford City: Tomi Adeloye (Dissent – 79’)

Referee: Josh Smith
Assistants: Sam Lewis & Tom Danaher

Attendance: 442

City Man of the Match: Harry Morgan

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 19, Sep 2015






National League South
Harry Morgan

Player of the match

Harry Morgan