Sat 12
First Team
Clarets Thwart Wealdstone Party

Clarets Thwart Wealdstone Party

By Adam May
Share via

While Wealdstone’s celebrations looked extravagant pre-match – befitting of the 1985 League- and FA Trophy-winning side – the match was anything but.

The celebrations to mark the 30th anniversary of the double-winning side didn't conjure up an interesting spectacle as the sides were held to a stalemate.

Chances were few and far between for both sides and, with both keepers being relatively untroubled for the majority of the match, a draw was a fair result as the Clarets made it four unbeaten.

The early stages actually saw the Clarets mostly on the back-foot with Christian Dibble being made to work inside the opening five minutes.

Midfielder Elliott Godfrey latched on to a loose ball outside the area but his driven strike was parried by the City ‘keeper as the Clarets looked to regain some composure.

West Ham loanee Moses Makasi looked promising in the deep-midfield role and aided the Clarets in regaining their possession and breaking with more authority. The young midfielder has looked assured in that holding position – he hasn’t, however, had the same effect when pushed further forward – but he made the visitors slightly more conscientious in their passing even if he gave it away on a couple of occasions.

While the Clarets broke forward more often they were guilty of overplaying it at times with Billy Bricknell and Luke Daley playing it between them inside the area, only to eventually get it stuck between their feet and for the Stones to clear.

And what Chelmsford did Wealdstone seemed to match after Scott Davies clipped a ball into the path of Matthew Ball. The winger cut-inside Mark Haines on numerous occasions but after dithering on the ball his eventual cross was nodded away by McAuley.

Godfrey then made Dibble work for the second time in the match when he caught Davies’ knock-down, but the effort was straight at the ‘keeper who made a routine catch.

Mark Haines took one last throw of the dice in stoppage time and Aiden Palmer almost converted the long-throw, volleying narrowly over from inside the box.

That brought first-half proceedings to a close with the two sides evenly matched, and it was clear from then on that it may be a match that saw little in the way of goalmouth action.

The Clarets looked stretched and somewhat lopsided in the first-half with Aiden Palmer left exploited in the left-back position, but they almost found themselves in front straight from kick-off.

A mix-up between Joshua McLeod-Urquhart and Carl Martin allowed Skeplhorn to bear down on goal but the striker failed to take advantage and curled a shot wide when he ought to have at least hit the target.

City were almost pegged back after a long throw caused bedlam in the box, eventually resulting in Joshua Hutchinson having his volley blocked by the impressive Mark Haines.

Ball then sliced an effort horribly wide as the hosts began to gain some crucial momentum, but the common theme from the first-half carried through: no real saves had to be made.

Wealdstone then removed their lone striker in place of a winger – a move that perplexed some on the terraces – before Lee Sawyer struck a shot off target following excellent hold-up play by Bricknell on the wing.

Bricknell turned provider again to tee-up substitute Tomi Adeloye, but the former Stoke City frontman saw his half-volley deflected and cleared.

The final ball for both sides was lacking – Wealdstone were particular victims of giving the ball away when in prime positions – and the two defences were resolute and deserve credit.

That was certainly the case when Dibble had to stretch an arm to deny Ball’s shot following Shaun Lucien’s troubling pull-back from the right.

The game became stretched in the final stages with both sides committing men to attack but at the same time not wanting to concede a late blow.

This match was one of those that both sides didn’t want to lose. For the Clarets it would mean four unbeaten going into Monday’s home derby with Concord Rangers, while for the hosts it would be a solid result in what’s been a difficult start to the season.

While Wealdstone looked like a side who were on the way up their indecisiveness upfront perhaps illustrates concisely why they have six points thus far.

And to further show City’s unwillingness to lose, manager Mark Hawkes brought on Marvel Ekpiteta with ten minutes remaining and altered the formation to three at the back.

It was a move that worked as the Clarets held on to record a valuable point in their quest for a play-off spot.


1. Jonathan North
2. Joshua McLeod-Urquhart
3. Ryan Watts
4. Carl Martin
5. Thomas Hamblin (C)
6. Elliott Godfrey
7. Jonathan Wright
8. Michael Corcoran
9. Joshua Hutchinson
10. Scott Davies
11. Matthew Ball


12. Jefferson Louis (On for Jonathan Wright, 76’)
14. Connor Calcutt
15. Shaun Lucien (On for Joshua Hutchinson, 53’)
16. Matthew Bevans
17. Daniel Brown (On for Michael Corcoran, 67’)

Chelmsford City:

1. Christian Dibble
2. Mark Haines
3. Aiden Palmer
4. Mark Hughes (C)
5. Marvin Ekpiteta
6. Rory McAuley
7. Luke Daley
8. Moses Makasi
9. Billy Bricknell
10. Hugo Skepelhorn
11. Lee Sawyer


12. Tomi Adeloye (On for Hugo Skepelhorn, 62’)
14. Marvel Ekpiteta (On for Luke Daley, 80’)
15. Harry Morgan (On for Moses Makasi, 62’)
16. Bagasan Graham
18. Laurence Vaughan

Referee: Mr. S. Yianni

Assistant referees: Mr. P. Staynings and Mr. R.Cockle

Bookings: Wealdstone: Michael Corcoran (62’, foul)
Chelmsford City: Mark Hughes (40’, foul)

Scorers: Wealdstone: None
Chelmsford City: None

HT score: 0-0

FT score: 0-0

Attendance: 803

City Man of the Match: Marvin Ekpiteta

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 12, Sep 2015






National League South
Marvin Ekpiteta

Player of the match

Marvin Ekpiteta