Sat 08
First Team
Hayes & Yeading Utd
L Redwood (5')
Clarets Forced to Share Points With Hayes

Clarets Forced to Share Points With Hayes

By Adam May
Share via

TWO wonder strikes saw the points shared in this Conference South encounter as Hayes & Yeading held the Clarets.

Leon Redwood opened the scoring for the Clarets after just five minutes as his shot from 40-yards nestled into the top corner.

Michael Cheek and Rohdell Gordon could have increased City’s lead in the first-half and, had it not been for the cross-bar, Hayes would have drawn level after Mark Hughes watched his backward header crack the woodwork.

But level they did and it was in spectacular fashion too. United’s substitute Rhys Murrell-Williamson cut inside from range, firing the ball into the net and giving Tony Thompson in the City goal no chance as both sides settled for a point.

City chief Mark Hawkes kept faith with the starting eleven that shocked league leaders Basinstoke Town a week ago on their own patch, with Southend United loanee Jason Williams retaining his place up front.

The Clarets found themselves 1-0 up inside five minutes and it was a clear goal of the season contender. Leon Redwood, the City full-back, saw an effort fly wide moments before but, he would claim, that was simply a dress rehearsal for what soon followed. The youngster took the ball around 40-yards from goal and arrowed a left-footed shot that flew right into the top corner. It looked destined for the net as soon as it left his boot, and it set the Clarets up nicely for the afternoon.

Michael Cheek then side footed the ball wide following Joe Ward’s timely cut-back as United struggled to get a hold on the game early on.

Hayes & Yeading’s Adam Everitt was the visitor’s major outlet throughout the game and within the opening twenty-minutes his delivery was spot on. Unfortunately for him his teammates were lacking direction in their runs into the box, allowing the City centre-back pairing of Yado Mambo and Marvin Ekpiteta to clear with relative ease.

United, managed by former Republic of Ireland international Phil Babb, struggled to create many chances as Cheek and Rohdell Gordon were both guilty of missing chances for City as their lead remained narrow.

Chelmsford attacked from the off in the second-half when Rohdell Gordon found Leon Redwood down the left-flank. City’s left-back then drilled the ball across the box and United’s Dean Inman did well to alter his body position and clear the ball out of play.

Skipper Mark Hughes was perhaps fortunate to not be shown a red by the match referee after he clattered into United’s Lewis Ferrell who, admittedly, took an exaggerated tumble which may have counted against him.

Hayes & Yeading substitute Tom Collins then had a glorious chance when he latched onto a lobbed pass. The well-timed pass took the City defence out of the game but, when it dropped to Collins, he lacked the necessary composure and ballooned the effort over the crossbar.

Joe Ward then fired a shot into the side netting just as United began to threaten and find a way into the match.

City then had a penalty appeal turned down after Dean Inman hauled down Michael Cheek in the box. The referee instead awarded a free-kick the other way, much to the disgust of Cheek, who was subsequently booked for dissent.

The game then momentarily died down before United skipper Matty Harriott looked to take the game into his own hands by trying his luck from range. Perhaps he was inspired by Leon Redwood’s opener, but the result wasn’t quite as intended, though it did force Tony Thompson into an awkward save as it dropped just in front of the loanee keeper.

Mark Hughes was then extremely fortunate when his attempted headed clearance looped and cannoned off the bar. City then countered with Jason Williams forcing a fine save from Grant Smith. The striker was then denied by the shot stopper moments later when he headed into his arms following the resultant corner.

With a quarter of an hour remaining the visitors drew level and it was a spectacular effort too. Rhys Murrell-Williamson picked the ball up around 35-40 yards from goal and let fly on a thunderous strike that made the net bulge for minutes. It was worthy of a leveller and it gave Hayes a lifeline.

Both camps pushed on for a winner late in the game but in the were forced to settle for a point.

Chelmsford City:

1. Tony Thompson
2. Rob Girdlestone
3. Leon Redwood
4. Mark Hughes (C)
5. Marvin Ekpiteta
6. Yado Mambo
7. Lee Sawyer
8. Joe Ward
9. Rohdell Gordon
10. Michael Cheek
11. Jason Williams


12. Christian Smith (On for Joe Ward, 84)
14. Nicky Nicolau
15. Evans Kouassi (On for Jason Williams, 73)
16. James Love
17. Niklas Freund (GK)

Hayes & Yeading:

1. Grant Smith
2. De’Reece Vanderhyde
3. Adam Everitt
4. Lewis Ferrell
5. Matt Ruby
6. Dean Inman
7. Ashleigh Artwell
8. Matty Harriott (C)
9. Pat Cox
10. Louis-Rae Breadle
11. Dan Wishart


12. Rhys Murrell-Williamson (Louis-Rae Breadle, 66)
14. Tom Collins (On for Ashleigh Artwell, 46)
15. Mason Spence (On for Dan Wishart, 90+3)
16. Dylan Kierney
21. Calum Kitscha (GK)

Referee: Mr Ian Cooper

Assistant Referees: Mr Lee Dyson & Mr Dele Sotimirin

Bookings: Chelmsford City: Mark Hughes (21, cynical foul), Lee Sawyer (40, foul), Michael Cheek (58, dissent), Rob Girdlestone (70, foul)
Hayes & Yeading: Dan Wishart (90+1, foul)

Scorers: Chelmsford City: Leon Redwood (5)
Hayes and Yeading: Rhys Murrell-Williamson (75)

Attendance: 632

City Man of the Match: Rohdell Gordon.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 08, Nov 2014






South Division
Rohdell Gordon

Player of the match

Rohdell Gordon