Sat 17
First Team
M Cheek (29'), R Girdlestone (64')
Missed Chances lead to Wealdstone Smash and Grab

Missed Chances lead to Wealdstone Smash and Grab

By Scott Hatley
Share via

Two late goals from Sean Cronin and Matt Ball ensured Wealdstone secured a league double over the Clarets with a 4-2 win.

Chelmsford though will rue two missed opportunities with the game at 2-2 when both Michael Cheek and Mark Hughes missed chances that were easier to score than miss.

The hosts took the lead through Michael Corcoran who latched onto a near post header to smash home at the far post, but City levelled when Jaanai Gordon was brought down in the area. Gordon took the penalty which was well saved by Jon North, but followed up by Cheek.

Chelmsford then went in front just after the hour when Rob Girdlestone scored his first for the club, but the lead lasted less than three minutes when a defensive mix-up allowed Elliot Godfrey to level.

And after Cheek and Hughes failed to convert golden chances to win the game for the visitors they were made to pay when a Bradley Watkins failed to keep hold of a ball into the box, allowing Sean Cronin to put Wealdstone in front.

The win was then secured in injury time when Matt Ball stroked home as Chelmsford suffered back to back defeats on the road and now face a two week break from the league.

Following last weekend’s defeat to Weston-Super-Mare Mark Hawkes made just two changes to his side with Yado Mambo, returning from injury, and Christian Smith coming in for Marvin Ekpiteta and Rohdell Gordon respectively.

In the reverse fixture a blockbuster from Elliot Godfrey in the third minute set Wealdstone on their way to a 2-0 win at the Melbourne Stadium.

The first goal in this contest wasn’t quite as early this time around but it was the Stones that opened the scoring after just 12 minutes when a corner from the Wealdstone left was flicked on at the near post and into the run of Michael Corcoran to smash home.

Following the goal both Scott McGleish and Luke O’Nien had chances to extend the home side’s lead as City looked rattled, but eventually they settled and were given a way back in from the penalty spot.

In what is likely to be the final game of his loan spell, Jaanai Gordon was brought down in the area by Wes Parker with the linesman calling for a penalty. Gordon stepped up to try and make it six goals in six but failed to beat Jon North who saved well to his left only for Michael Cheek to score the rebound.

City were right back in the tie, and almost went into the break in front after Gordon cut inside from the left wing to drill a shot low and hard towards goal with North somehow managing to palm the ball into the ground with enough force to send the ball bouncing over the cross-bar.

Both sides looked evenly matched as they went past the hour mark before Christian Smith went within a cross-bar of putting City in front after he rattled the woodwork with a free-kick from 30 yards out.

Chelmsford didn’t have to wait long to make the breakthrough though as Cheek turned in the box to create space for a shot, and after seeing his shot deflected into the air Rob Girdlestone came running into smash home the rebound to give City the lead.

It was a lead that would last less than three minutes as a clipped ball into the penalty area caused confusion amongst the City back line allowing Godfrey to sneak in to score from close range despite Chelmsford’s vehement claims for offside.

The equaliser set us up for a grandstand finish and with both sides looking for a chance to snatch all three points Chelmsford conspired to miss two practically open goals with both Cheek and Hughes missing when it was easier to score.

The first fell to Cheek who latched onto a loose pass to run clean through on goal, and after rounding North the club’s top scorer, off balance, shot high and wide of the unguarded net.

And minutes later another guilt-edged chance this time fell to Hughes after some pinball in the area, and from eight yards out the City captain failed to find the target as he blazed over.

They were to be chances that Chelmsford would rue to miss as Wealdstone would go on to steal it at the death and nick the points with two minutes of time remaining.

Another clipped ball into the penalty area brought Watkins off his line to try and claim the ball, but under pressure from two Wealdstone players Watkins failed keep hold of it leaving Sean Cronin to lift the ball into the net and break City hearts.

If there was any doubt about where the points would end up, in the first minute of injury time Matt Ball made it safe after Jefferson Louis laid the ball off to his fellow substitute to stroke the ball into the bottom corner.

1. Jon North
2. Carl Martin
3. James Hammond
4. Wes Parker (C)
5. Sean Cronin
6. Elliot Godfrey
7. Shaun Lucien
8. Michael Corcoran
9. Scott McGleish
10. Luke O’Nien
11. Nathan Mavila

12. Richard Jolly
14. Jonny Wright (On for Shaun Lucien 74’)
15. Jefferson Louis (On for Nathan Mavila 80’)
16. Matt Ball (On for Michael Corocoran 69’)
17. Tom Hamblin

Chelmsford City
1. Bradley Watkins
2. Rob Girdlestone
3. Michael Toner
4. Mark Hughes (C)
5. Harry Hickford
6. Yado Mambo
7. Lee Sawyer
8. Leon Redwood
9. Jaanai Gordon
10. Michael Cheek
11. Christian Smith

12. Nicky Nicolau
14. Rohdell Gordon
15. Joe Ward (On for Jaanai Gordon 85’)
16. Mark Haines
17. Jake Gordon

Referee: I Rathbone
Assistants: P Forrester & S Lewis

Wealdstone: Michael Corcoran (12’), Elliot Godfrey (67’), Sean Cronin (88’), Matt Ball (90+1’)
Chelmsford City: Michael Cheek (29’), Rob Girdlestone (64’)

Wealdstone: Michael Corcoran (61’ – Foul), Luke O’Nien (75’ – Foul), Matt Ball (90+3’ – Foul)
Chelmsford City: None

Attendance: 708

City Man of the Match: Rob Girdlestone

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 17, Jan 2015






South Division
Rob Girdlestone

Player of the match

Rob Girdlestone