Sun 28
Staines Town
First Team
M Cheek (39'), (53'), (71'), (78'), J Gordon (66')
Four-Goal Cheek helps see off Staines

Four-Goal Cheek helps see off Staines

By Scott Hatley
Share via

A four-goal salvo from Michael Cheek helped Chelmsford come from 2-0 down to defeat basement side Staines Town at Wheatsheaf Park.

The Clarets striker’s first goal just before the interval proved the catalyst for City’s comeback after they found themselves two behind thanks to goals from Ashley Lodge and Elliot Charles.

Cheek’s superb second just after the interval got Mark Hawkes’ side level before Jaanai Gordon grabbed his second in as many games to put the Clarets in front.

Chelmsford’s number 10 then completed his hat-trick with a tap in before notching his fourth thanks to a wicked deflection which deceived the Swans goalkeeper, Jack Turner.

It was the first time this season that Chelmsford have come from behind to win a game in which they’ve conceded the first goal and it was the perfect tonic to the 5-1 defeat to Ebbsfleet two days before.

With just the one change being made to the side following the Boxing Day defeat to Ebbsfleet, with Leon Redwood coming in for Joe Ward, the Clarets made an inauspicious start against the side currently propping up the Conference South table.

Chances for either side were few and far between in the early stages, but the hosts put themselves in front with a smart finish from Ashley Lodge who struck across the face of Bradley Watkins to score off the inside of the post.

Earlier in the campaign Staines won 3-1 at the Melbourne Stadium and just after half an hour they looked to be well on their way to securing a league double against the Clarets when a shot from Josh Ekim fell kindly for Elliot Charles to slot home at the far post to double the home side’s advantage.

Once again the Clarets on their travels had given their hosts a two goal lead but, much like last weekend’s defeat to Hayes & Yeading, City got themselves back in the contest with a goal just before the break.

Putting Jerel Ifil under pressure Michael Cheek closed down the Staines defender to force an error as the City striker blocked his attempted clearance. The ball bounced kindly for Cheek who finished superbly to put the Clarets back in it.

Having had their lead cut to one before the break the nerves of the league’s bottom side began to show early in the second half and City took advantage of that insecurity to level up through a fantastic second by Cheek.

Rohdell Gordon spun his way into a crossing position on the right wing allowing him cross into Cheek who volleyed the ball into the bottom corner giving Jack Turner no chance.

From the moment Cheek scored his first of the game the momentum was with the away side, and they were well and truly in the ascendancy having equalised and almost went in front after Mark Hughes’ deflected effort was cleared off the line.

But City weren’t to be denied going in front too much longer as Jaanai Gordon, on-loan from West Ham, grabbed his second in two games for City, shrugging off the attentions of Ifil to shoot past Turner and complete the turn-around.

Now behind Staines began to rush as they went in search of an equaliser which would have gone some way to alleviating their worries at the bottom of the table.

But in their haste Chelmsford stuck the knife in by getting themselves two goals in front after Leon Redwood's shot was parried into the feet of Cheek who couldn’t miss from three yards out to complete his hat-trick and put some daylight between the two sides.

The fourth goal had taken the wind out of the home side’s sails and Hawkes' side only added salt in the wound as they made it five with over 10 minutes still remaining with Cheek grabbing his fourth of the game.

After Harry Hickford carried the ball deep inside enemy territory, he layed the ball off to Cheek whose strike flicked up off the unfortunate Justyn Roberts to loop over Turner and into the back of the net to make the points safe.

The home side, to their credit, kept going till the death and were rewarded with a goal back in injury after Calum Willock’s effort took a nasty deflection to wrong-foot Watkins, but it wasn’t anywhere near enough as Chelmsford took home the spoils.

Post-match reaction from Mark Hawkes and goal-scoring hero Michael Cheek can be found on SoundCloud by clicking here.

Staines Town:
1. Jack Turner
2. Tommy Brewer
3. Max Worsfold (C)
4. Stephane Ngamvoulou
5. Justyn Roberts
6. Jerel Ifil
7. Ashley Lodge
8. Joe Aribo
9. Romone Rose
10. Josh Ekim
11. Elliot Charles

12. Calum Willock (On for Stephane Ngamvoulou 60’)
14. Danny Bassett (On for Romone Rose 34’)
15. Jeremy Boakye
16. Chris M’Boungou (On for Jerel Ifil 69’)
17. Luke Neville

Chelmsford City:
1. Bradley Watkins
2. Rob Girdlestone
3. Michael Toner
4. Mark Hughes (C)
5. Harry Hickford
6. Yado Mambo
7. Lee Sawyer
8. Leon Redwood
9. Jaanai Gordon
10. Michael Cheek
11. Rohdell Gordon

12. Christian Smith
14. Joe Ward
15. Nicky Nicolau (On for Rohdell Gordon 84’)
16. Marvin Ekpiteta
17. Jake Gordon (On for Jaanai Gordon 81’)

Referee: Derek Eaton (Tewksbury)
Assistants: Daniel Jacecko (Redhouse Village), Joshua Ainscow (Blunsdon)

Staines Town: Ashley Lodge (21’), Elliot Charles (36’), Calum Willock (90’)
Chelmsford City: Michael Cheek (39’, 53’, 71’, 78’), Jaanai Gordon (66’)

Staines Town: Max Worsfold (67’ – Foul)
Chelmsford City: Rohdell Gordon (58’ – Foul), Yado Mambo (90’ – Dissent)

Attendance: 320

City Man of the Match: Michael Cheek

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sun 28, Dec 2014






South Division
Michael Cheek

Player of the match

Michael Cheek