Mon 25
Bishops Stortford
First Team
L Callander (58'), (59'), M Cheek (73')
Clarets Record First Win In Five Goal Thriller

Clarets Record First Win In Five Goal Thriller

By Adam May
Share via

Two goals in the space of a minute from Luke Callander and a goal from Michael Cheek recorded Chelmsford City’s first victory of the new season.

By Adam May

Two goals in the space of a minute from Luke Callander and a half-volley from Michael Cheek recorded Chelmsford City’s first victory of the new season as they raced into a 3-0 lead.

For the Clarets, goals had been a rarity prior to this match, with Glen Southam opening City’s goal scoring account from the penalty spot two days prior to this lively Bank Holiday encounter. But Mark Hawkes’s men could take some pride in their recent 1-1 draw with promotion hopefuls Sutton United, even if an attacking threat was perhaps lacking.

However, in the pre-match warm-up, the Clarets looked like a team ready to go out and prove that they can be a threat and improve on last season’s 17th-placed finish. Michael Cheek scored a well-taken goal and Luke Callander looked threatening.

So it was perhaps little surprise that City scored two in quick succession and both strikers got off the mark. After all, it had to be a matter of time before the Clarets scored their first goal from open play, didn’t it? Stortford did threaten to rattle the visitors after Antony Church and Mikel Suarez, from the penalty spot, pulled two back but the damage had already been done by the Clarets.

City certainly demonstrated their intent early on and attacked from the off when Callander carved a perfect chance for Michael Cheek, but the frontman miss controlled the cross and the attack came to nothing.

The visitors were not to be depleted though and Joe Ward went close with a couple of efforts, the first dipping narrowly over the bar and the second was collected comfortably by Joe Wright in the Blues’ goal.

Rod Stringer’s men did regain some authority in the middle of the park but only really threatened from long range, with Joe Tabiri shooting high and wide.

City had to be patient in their build-up phases and played the ball across the defence and midfield areas competently while pressing well. Luke Callander, in particular, came deep to ensure the Clarets retained the ball and kept the flow ticking along.

Former Clarets’ midfielder Anthony Church almost broke the deadlock against the run of play when Johnny Herd pulled the ball back from the by-line, only for the Blues’ skipper to side foot into the grateful arms of Nicky Eyre.

But it didn’t take too long before Chelmsford City threatened the goal again when Luke Callander turned easily past George Allen, but Joe Wright was equal to his efforts and executed a fine save.

Bishop’s Stortford, who lost influential centre-back Callum McNaughton in the close-season, struggled to represent much of the threat as the Clarets continued to dominate in the second-half.

A chance went a begging for Stortford five minutes into the second-half when Mikel Suarez shaped to shoot but lost his footing at the vital moment on the slippery pitch, and watched as his weak effort dribbled wide.

Marvin Ekpiteta, who has recently been recalled to the Clarets’ starting line-up following the departure of Matt Fry, had to block Ryan Auger who cut inside to shoot as City withstood some pressure.

The ball began to stick to the pitch which caused a number of players difficulty, particularly when Joe Ward tried to cut the ball back to Luke Callander, only to find a puddle and scuff the effort.

But the Clarets soon broke the deadlock just shy of the hour. City skipper Mark Hughes sprayed the ball out wide to James Love who sent a left-footed cross to Michael Cheek who nodded down to Luke Callander, allowing the striker to stab the ball home from close range.

And Callander soon doubled his lead a minute later when Michael Cheek had his initial shot blocked on the line. Callander was in the right place at the right time though and comfortably tucked away the rebound to send the City faithful into euphoria.

The Clarets were in control just as the heavens opened at the ProKit UK Stadium as it became difficult to pass the ball accurately but it didn’t stop the visitors adding to their goal tally. Michael Cheek cropped up to slam the ball home on the half-volley following a poor clearance from Glen Southam’s corner as he too opened his account for the new season.

Bishop’s Stortford pulled one back on 76-minutes when skipper Anthony Church scored from close-range despite hints of a handball which Nicky Eyre was clearly aggrieved about.

Marvin Ekpiteta then appeared to trip George Sykes just outside the area, but the referee awarded a penalty kick which Mikel Suarez made no mistake in tucking away, sending Nicky Eyre the wrong way.

But the damage had already been done by Luke Callander and co, with the Clarets managing to hold on for their first victory of the season despite the late surge by Stortford.

Bishop’s Stortford:

1. Joe Wright
2. Ashley Miller
3. Danny Fitzsimons
4. Joe Tabiri
5. George Allen
6. Phil Anderson
7. Ryan Auger
8. Antony Church (C)
9. Mikel Suarez
10. Spencer McCall
11. Johnny Herd


12. George Sykes (On for Phil Anderson, 66)
14. Ishmael Kamara
15. Sheldon Sellears (On for Spencer McCall, 66)
16. Ryan Melaugh (On for Ryan Auger, 80)
17. Harry Baker

Chelmsford City:

1. Nicky Eyre
2. Rob Girdlestone
3. James Love
4. Mark Hughes (C)
5. Mark Haines
6. Marvin Ekpiteta
7. Lee Sawyer
8. Glen Southam
9. Luke Callander
10. Michael Cheek
11. Joe Ward


12. Christian Smith
14. Rohdell Gordon
15. Harry Morgan
16. Hugo Skepelhorn
17. Niklas Freund (GK)

Referee: Mr Carl Fitch

Assistant Referees: Mr Darren Stobbart and Mr Oliver Morris-Sanders

Bookings: Bishop’s Stortford: Anthony Church (42, foul) George Allen (48,foul), Mikel Suarez (79)
Chelmsford City: Lee Sawyer (66, foul)

Attendance: 604

City scorers: Luke Callander (59 and 60) Michael Cheek (73)

City Man of the Match: Luke Callander

Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 25, Aug 2014



Meet time





South Division
Luke Callander

Player of the match

Luke Callander