Sat 21
First Team
N Pinney (37' Pen), S Okojie (64')
Corinthian-Casuals 2-0 Chelmsford City

Corinthian-Casuals 2-0 Chelmsford City

By Chris Berry
Share via

City fell at the first hurdle of their FA Cup journey on Saturday afternoon against Isthmian Premier outfit, Corinthian-Casuals.

A goal in each half for the hosts was enough to cause an FA Cup upset at the first time of asking.

Shaun Jeffers had the opportunity to score from 12 yards with one minute on the clock after being fouled from behind in the box, but the Clarets frontman's effort was tipped onto the bar and saved by Casuals' 'keeper, Master Ugradar.

Jeffers and Jonny Giles then teamed up well as the latter chipped the ball over the top of the Corinthians defence towards Sam Higgins, however the striker can't connect well enough and Ugradar was able to collect.

Mu Maan registered the hosts first real chance of the game just two minutes later, but his shot flew well over the bar, failing to trouble Carl Pentney.

Whelpdale was next to come close for the visitors, who registered a flurry of great chances. The midfielder unleashed a fierce effort after cutting in on his left foot - hitting the post in the process.

Shortly after, Casuals failed to clear their lines following a long-throw into the box before Billy Knott capitalized and sent a shot just wide of the post.

Giles was next to create a dangerous chance when his cross found an unmarked Whelpdale, who headed over from a couple of yards out.

Despite early spells of clear dominance from the visitors, City conceded a penalty of their own when Frazer Shaw committed a foul inside the area. Nathaniel Pinney stepped up to take, slotting the ball past Pentney to give the hosts an unlikely lead.

Corinthians almost doubled their advantage with five minutes until the break, however Pentney was equal to a close-range volley from Shaun Okojie.

Corinthians started the second period strongly Serbony saw his drilled strike hit the side netting.

Andy Fennell was the first substitute of the second-half for the Clarets and was instantly in the thick of the action - winning a corner after a low shot was saved by Ugradar. The resulting corner was met by Wraight, who's header was saved by the Casuals' shot-stopper.

Warren Morgan was next to challenge Pentney before Okojie fired wide from just outside the box.

The Clarets had claims for a second penalty of the afternoon waved away as Jeffers clashed with the Casuals 'keeper.

The Isthmian Premier outfit doubled their lead on 65 minutes when Okojie managed to beat Pentney to the ball, before tapping home into an empty net to make it 2-0.

With just 20 minutes remaining, Corinthians showed no signs of giving up as Mann drilled an effort over the bar before Bakare took aim, sending a shot well over the bar.

Andrew Mills came closest to extending the hosts lead on 85 minutes when his header was cleared off the line by Knott.

A chance a piece before the final whistle saw Fennell head over and Bakare curl a shot wide, but the scoreline remained at 2-0 and City's FA Cup journey came to an abrupt end.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 21, Sep 2019