Mon 03
First Team
Braintree Town
A Nasha (26'), T Wraight (90')


By Steve Parker
Share via

Clarets in to the Quarter Finals

Reports Dan Deakins...

Amos Nasha and Tom Wraight helped Chelmsford City progress to the quarter-final of the BBC Essex Senior Cup after a hard-fought 2-0 win at home to Braintree Town.

Chelmsford were deserving winners and Nasha's superb opening goal lit up what wasn't the easiest game to watch.

Late substitute Tom Wraight added a second before injury time to put a bullet point on a solid performance.

"We had a purpose tonight to try and get through", said Rod Stringer, "We really put a shift in for 90 minutes and 2-0 with a second clean sheet on the bounce is very important.

"The centre forwards are here to score goals but it's nice when other people chip in. Wraighty and Amos now have two goals in two games, but I don't care who scores, it's all about getting the result and being in the next round of this competition.

"We're coming into a busy period now and we're getting a bit of momentum and hopefully that's going to drive us on bit."

After 10 minutes of not very much action, Spillane took on an effort from 25-yards. It was easily saved by Ashlee Jones, but exemplified how difficult it was for either side to find a clear cut opportunity in the others penalty area.

Rhys Murphy had the best chance to light up what had been a drab game in the 21st minute. Bringing the ball down on the right wing, he charged past a couple Braintree players into the box before unleashing a shot which cannoned off the foot of the post.

Soon after, Nasha opened the scoring with a quite magnificent finish. Murphy had earned City a free kick near the by line on the left, and it was taken quickly. Nasha received the short pass from Murphy, opened his body, and finessed a sublime shot into the top corner.

Murphy had been perennially offside in the game, and he continued that trend as the second half began. On one of the few occasions he did time his run correctly, he misjudged the trajectory of the ball and it bounced over his head; on another occasion, Jones deployed himself as a sweeper-keeper and incepted the through ball.

Khinda-John had a good chance to make it 2-0 less than five minutes into the second period from a corner. The centre-back leapt to connect with a mid air side foot volley, but the ball glanced wide.

Wraight put the game beyond doubt in the 90th minute. His initial shot inside the box was blocked by a sliding Braintree defender, but as Jones came out to block the second shot, Wraight slotted past him.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 03, Dec 2018