Tue 21
First Team
Penalty Success in Essex Senior Cup

Penalty Success in Essex Senior Cup

By Scott Hatley
Share via

Niklas Freund saves all three Barking spot-kicks as Chelmsford advance to the 4th Round of the Essex Senior Cup following a 0-0 draw.

By Ben Parks

Chelmsford progressed via a penalty shoot-out into the 4th Round of the Essex Senior Cup supported by BBC Essex against a hard-working Barking side at Mayesbrook Park on Tuesday night.

1st team coach Kevin Maher took the side as Mark Hawkes and Steve Smith were watching Barnet on a scouting mission ahead of the big FA Cup tie on Saturday.

The Chelmsford line-up was strong with nine players who have played in the first team this season included in the 16-man squad, and Chelmsford started strongly but failed to test the Barking goal until Nicky Nicolau's in-swinging free-kick hit the base of the back post midway through the first half.

Barking replied a few minutes later when Ben O'Brien's 30-yard effort hit the top of Niklas Freund's crossbar and Rohdell Gordon tested Barking keeper Jason Willis late in the first half, but he saved well as the Clarets ended the first half on top but with nothing to trouble the score sheet.

In the second half a fierce wind pinned Chelmsford for the most part inside their own half and the Essex Senior League side dominated the second 45.

Half-time sub Joe Killingback tested Freund for the first time in the game and he dealt with it well, but Barking should have scored when Siphio Mtyanda rounded the German 'keeper but the ball got stuck under his foot allowing Clarets débutante Eamonn Payne to get back to clear.

Barking again caused problems for the Chelmsford defence in the last minute when a corner was met by Barking sub Sam Dennis but it went just over so the match went to penalties.

Chelmsford stepped up first and Joe Ward, Evans Kouassi and Eamonn Payne were all successful from the spot whilst Niklas Freund made himself a hero as he saved all three of Barking's penalties, taken by Killingback, Glen Golby and Steve Willis.

Chelmsford progress to the next round and the draw is made on BBC Essex at 5.30pm on Wednesday 29th October.

Photo Credit: Essex County FA https://www.facebook.com/EssexFootball

Barking: Jason Willis, Jay Taylor (Joe Killingback 46'), Luke Foster, Glen Golby, Billy Rix (Sam Dennis 77'), Steve Willis, Sam Owusu, Ben O’Brien, Ryan Creed, Sipho Mtyanda, James Barlow
Unused Substitutes: Peter Moore, Billy Reynolds, Tony Da Silva.

Chelmsford City: Niklas Freund, Robert Girdlestone, Jake Barham, Jake Pitty (Harry Alvin 76'), Marvin Ekpiteta, Eamonn Payne, Callum Farringdon (Joe Ward 87'), Harry Morgan (Chris McLaughlin 62'), Evans Kouassi, Rohdell Gordon, Nicky Nicolau
Unused Substitutes: Jake Gordon, Luke Callander.

Referee: Stuart Cheek (Ilford).
Assistant Referees: Kevin Nicholson (Hornchurch) & Adam Humphreys (Hornchurch)

Barking: None
Chelmsford City: None

Penalties: Chelmsford - Ward (scored, 1-0), Barking - Killingback (saved, 1-0), Chelmsford - Kouassi (scored, 2-0), Barking - Golby (saved, 2-0), Chelmsford - Payne (scored, 3-0), Barking - S Willis (saved, 3-0)

Barking: None
Chelmsford: Kouassi (30 - adopting an aggressive attitude).

Attendance: 63

City Man of the Match: Niklas Freund

Share via

Match details

Match date

Tue 21, Oct 2014