Fri 01
First Team
Ipswich Town
Young Ipswich Too Good for Clarets

Young Ipswich Too Good for Clarets

By Adam May
Share via

Darren McQueen's brace and strikes courtesy of Teddy Bishop and Byron Lawrence were enough for Ipswich Town to leave Melbourne Stadium with a win.

Luke Callander and Christian Smith both netted for the Clarets, but it wasn't enough to beat the Tractor Boys in City's final pre-season match.

The Clarets experimented with some personnel against a youthful Ipswich Town side which included a sprinkling of first-teamers. Joe Ward spearheaded the midfield diamond with trialist Amir Berkane sitting in front of the solid back-four.

The dynamic duo of Glen Southam and Mark Hughes occupied either side, supporting the attacking City full-backs. Michael Cheek and Luke Callander lead the line and seemed on the same wavelength throughout the match.

But it was the visitors who took the lead, and it was in spectacular fashion too. Clarets’ centre-back Mark Haines was out-muscled by Darren McQueen, and the young Ipswich star sent a thunderous strike into the top corner that was simply unstoppable.

And the Clarets searched for a leveller moments later when Mark Hughes pounced on a loose ball, only to drag his shot just wide of the left-hand post from the edge-of-the box.

City’s Luke Callander then spurned a good chance to equalise when he shrugged off George Fowler, but he couldn’t quite discover the necessary curve on his strike to find the net.

Nik Freund then pulled a fine save to deny 18-year-old winger Byron Lawrence as he pushed his well-struck shot round the post. But the City trialist goalkeeper could do nothing to prevent Bryon Lawrence’s shot from bulging the net as he scored his and the Tractor Boys’ second on 24-minutes.

Luke Callander made up for his previous miss a minute later when he halved the deficit from close range, slamming a shot home past Town keeper Michael Crowe.

The game became an even contest as the half wore on, with City’s Luke Callander and Michael Cheek holding the ball up impressively in the channels.

The Tractor Boys did momentarily threaten from a set-piece just before half-time when Teddy Bishop’s corner was headed onto the roof of the net by Omar Sowunmi.

Mark Hughes did well to control Mark Haines’s drilled pass and swivelled impressively to dip a shot just over the bar to signal the end of the opening half.

That miss was to prove costly however as Teddy Bishop made it 3-1 shortly after the re-start as he coolly slotted home from close-range as the City defence was caught off-guard.

Glen Southam and Michael Cheek both had reasonable chances to claw themselves back into the match but, thanks to a deflection and cool goalkeeping, were denied on both occasions.

The Clarets made a change in goal, bringing on Max Hunter for Nik Freund, and the substitute pulled a fine save to deny Cemal Ramadan from close-range after Rob Girdlestone miss-read a lobbed pass.

But the City keeper was unable to keep out Byron Lawrence’s header as he nodded home from close-range following a miss-kick by Joss Emmanuel at the back-post to make it 4-1.

Teddy Bishop almost made it five for the Tractor Boys, but had his shot smothered by Max Hunter who was quick off his line.

And the Clarets did eventually net a second when Christian Smith curled a delicious left-footed free-kick into the corner of the goal after Mark Hughes was hacked down around 25-yards from goal.

In the end, Town were simply too good for the Clarets, but they can be justifiably pleased with their performances in a gruelling and testing pre-season schedule, and they look ready for the season opener at home to last season’s FA Trophy finalists Gosport Borough on August 9th.

By Adam May.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Fri 01, Aug 2014