Sat 26
Needham Market
First Team
Newson hat-trick condemns Clarets to first pre-season defeat

Newson hat-trick condemns Clarets to first pre-season defeat

By Scott Hatley
Share via

Sam Newson’s first half hat-trick condemned Chelmsford to a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Ryman North side Needham Market.

Two goals in two minutes from Newson midway through the first half put the home side well on their way towards a surprise victory.

Michael Cheek reduced the deficit 10 minutes before the interval, but Newson’s hat-trick on the stroke of half time proved too much for the Clarets to overturn in the second half.

Chelmsford boss Mark Hawkes was unperturbed by the defeat, placing little importance on results during pre-season, and still took positives from the performance from his side.

“I always take positives from games” said Hawkes. “It is pre-season. I’m not going to go overboard because we’ve been beaten. We’ve played a very good side and we played very well today.”

“But we haven’t hit the heights that we have so far in pre-season. We looked a little bit tired today, we’ve played a lot of football and perhaps on the day we come up against a very good side and it was one game too many for us.”

Despite the impressive performance against Conference Premier side Braintree Town on Wednesday, the Clarets weren’t able to carry on that forward momentum against a well drilled Needham Market.

And after a some early light sparring between the two sides two goals in two minutes knocked the stuffing out of Hawkes’ side when Sam Newson grabbed two in quick succession.

The first coming when he bundled in a low cross from the left from close range, with the second being superbly taken two minutes later after Sam Nunn had struck the bar, leaving Newson to rattle home the rebound.

Chelmsford rallied and found their way back into the match when Michael Cheek looped home a header from a Glen Southam corner, but just before the break Newson put daylight back between the sides securing his hat-trick with a delightful third goal that curled past a motionless Nicky Eyre.

Defensively the second half was a marked improvement on the first half with the home side unable to force Eyre into any meaningful goalmouth action.

Chelmsford managed to create a number of chances in the second period though, but failed to force their way back in to the friendly.

Midway through the half a clipped ball from Leon Redwood was headed back across goal only to be cleared from underneath the cross bar by a Needham defender.

Two minutes later Cheek checked one way and then another to create space for a shot which he flashed across the face of goal, before Luke Callander forced a superb save from the Needham goalkeeper with a looping volley minutes later.

As the game edged towards its conclusion the contest petered out with the home side eventually holding on to their 3-1 win, inflicting Chelmsford’s first defeat in six so far this pre-season.

By Scott Hatley

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 26, Jul 2014