Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Chelmsford City FC app


First Team - Match centre

Chelmsford City
Bath City
R Murphy (45' Pen)
Full time
Sat 25 Aug 15:00 - The Vanarama National League - Vanarama National League South Attendance 764



Chelmsford City missed a host of chances as they scraped past the 10-men of Bath City 1-0 thanks to a penalty late in the first half.

Reports Dan Deakins...

Robbie Cundy saw red with just two minutes to go until the break for pulling down Rhys Murphy, who scored the subsequent penalty.

Despite threatening to score many more throughout the second half, the Clarets were blunt in front of goal, and had to hold off late pressure from Bath to prevent the equaliser.

Both sides were very evenly matched in the first third of the first half. There was very little rhythm to the game, with Chelmsford and Bath consistently breaking up the play in the midfield.

Ryan Brunt had the first clear chance for Bath in the 17th minute, turning in the box and shooting just wide of Nathan McDonald's far post.

Chelmsford got a chance of their own seven minutes later when Tom Wraight's throw found Max Porter but his shot was deflected out for a corner.

From Jai Reason's corner the ball made its way back to him on the edge of the Bath box. Reason cut inside and his curling effort was well saved by Bath goalkeeper Ryan Clarke.

Sean Rigg attempted a spectacular long range shot with 15 minutes of the half remaining, but it flew safely wide of Chelmsford's goal.

Wraight got in a few minutes later but his low cross was cleared far up field.

Chelmsford finally made the breakthrough two minutes before half time when Cundy pulled down Murphy inside the penalty area. The big centre half was sent off and Murphy stepped up, slotting the spot kick into the bottom corner to put the Clarets up 1-0 heading into half time.

10-man Bath hit the ground running in the early goings of the second half, with Adam Mann getting in behind and forcing a corner in the 49th minute.

Things almost got worse for Bath just five minutes into the second half, as Clarke took out Murphy on the edge of the box with the Chelmsford striker hurtling towards his goal. Referee Steven Hughes, rather controversially, only awarded a yellow card. Murphy's low effort from the freekick just outside the D went marginally wide, rippling the side netting.

Despite being at a mans disadvantage, Bath were playing very risky at the back, intent on building from the goalkeeper and Murphy very nearly stole the ball as Chelmsford pressed for a second.

Wraight nearly extended the lead in the 66th minute. The ball came to him on the left hand side of the box via Murphy and the winger's shot was blocked off the line by Mann.

Bath were close to a fortunate equaliser as the game approached the final 20 minutes: Joe Raynes' long throw-in bounced perilously close to McDonald's goal and it was cleared over the bar in the nick of time.

Andy Watkins went so close to equalising in the 77th minute, cutting a shot across the six-yard-box from a narrow angle and it ran just wide of the far post.

Substitute Scott Fenwick was guilty of a miss that will likely go down as one of the worst of the season. Murphy got in behind the defence in Bath's penalty area and squared for Fenwick, but somehow the striker put it past the near post from fewer than six yards.

Murphy again shot wide in the 83rd minute as the game became more and more nervy at 1-0 with Chelmsford unable to secure the win.

Wraight went from range with two minutes of normal time remaining but could only hit the netting supports.

Bath went straight up the other end and substitute John Mills almost converted a cross. The assist was far too powerful though and Mills was unable to guild the ball into the goal.

After a lot of late Bath pressure Chelmsford held on to win 1-0.

Get the team together and play Fantasy League

Key moments

Scored Penalty Rhys Murphy scores a penalty for Chelmsford City

Videos and photos


View 0 new events
86:00 Yellow Card
Max Porter is yellow carded for Chelmsford City
74:00 Sub On
Jonny Giles is substituted on for Chelmsford City
74:00 Sub On
Scott Fenwick is substituted on for Chelmsford City
67:00 Sub On
Taylor Miles is substituted on for Chelmsford City
67:00 Sub Off
Jai Reason is substituted off for Chelmsford City
45:00 Scored Penalty 1 - 0
Rhys Murphy scores a penalty for Chelmsford City
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Chelmsford City
  • Bath City
  • 0
  • Rhys Murphy Scored Penalty 45:00'
  • Taylor Miles Sub On 67:00'
  • Jai Reason Sub Off 67:00'
  • Jonny Giles Sub On 74:00'
  • Scott Fenwick Sub On 74:00'
  • Max Porter Yellow Card 86:00'

Team selection

McDonald, Nathan McDonald, Nathan
Anderson, Joe Anderson, Joe
Barnum-Bobb, Jazzi Barnum-Bobb, Jazzi
Reason, Jai Reason, Jai
Omozusi, Elliot Omozusi, Elliot
Swaine, Rob Swaine, Rob
Wraight, Tom Wraight, Tom
Church, Anthony Church, Anthony
Porter, Max Porter, Max
Murphy, Rhys Murphy, Rhys
Whelpdale, Chris Whelpdale, Chris

League round up

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Torquay United 42 88
2. Woking 42 78
3. Welling United 42 76
4. Chelmsford City 42 72
5. Bath City 42 71
6. Concord Rangers 42 70
7. Wealdstone 42 66

Team sponsors


Club sponsors